Mineralogical Mining Museum of Lavrio
The Society of Studies of the Lavrion Region founded the Mineralogical Museum of Lavrion, with the aim of highlighting one of the most important aspects of the region's natural wealth. The Museum is dedicated to the memory of A. Kordellas (1836-1909), the major contributor to the revival of modern-day Lavrion.
In the Museum's showcases are exhibited approximately 700 samples of 115 different kinds of minerals, classified according to the norms of mineralogical science (DANA 1850), into the following categories: sulphides, sulphates, native elements, halogens, limes, oxides-hydroxides, arsenides, vanadiums. Some of the exhibits are exceedingly rare (annabergites, serpierites, spangolites, laventulanites, etc.), while others are particularly beautiful specimens (azurite, adamsite, smithsonite, etc.). There are also rare specimens of the famous "slag minerals".
In addition to the minerals exhibited, one can also see objects related to the extraction and refining of ores (lead ingots, slag cones, lead monoxides, types of lead and slag, digging implements and lamps, apparatus used for the transportation of ores etc.).
Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday: 10:00 - 12:00
Archeological Museum of Lavrio
The Archaeological Museum of Lavrio at the entrance of the city was built in 1970 and was used as a warehouse of antiquities until 1999 when it was renovated as a museum. The exhibits are presented thematically and chronologically indicating human activity in the area from the Prehistoric Period to the 6th century BC.
The collection includes metallic objects, sculptures, offerings from the tomb in Thoricus and the impressive relief plates from the frieze of the temple of Poseidon with scenes from the Centauromachy and the Gigantomachy.
08:30 – 15:30, Tuesday closed
Andrea Kordella Avenue, 19500 Lavrio
Tel.: 22920 22817
Mineralogical Mining Museum of Kamariza
It is located in the settlement of Agios Konstantinos and can be easily distinguished, due to the iron tower of the mining well Serpieri No 1, depth 165, built by the French Mining Company of Lavrio in 1880.
The exhibits of the museum consist of minerals of exceptional beauty in colors and shapes, objects, tools, machines, photographs and texts of the time when the mines operated.
The whole area has been declared a historical monument by the Ministry of Culture.
Wednesday - Saturday - Sunday from 10:00 - 13:00
Agios Konstantinos Attica, 19500
Tel.: 22920 22564
The Temple of Poseidon in Sounio
At the end of the Sounio Peninsula at the southernmost point of Attica, lies the Temple of Poseidon within a fort that protects the coast of Attica. Made entirely of white marble, it was erected in the middle of the 5th century BC and built to honour Poseidon, god of the sea.
Some of the archaeological items found in this site date from as early as the 8th century BC, while Herodotus affirms in his documents that in the 6th century BC, the Athenians used to celebrate a quadrennial festival at Cape Sounion. In Homer's Odyssey, Menelaus while returning from Troy, stopped at this temple where he buried Phrontes, his helmsman.
The first version of the temple was built in the archaic period but it was destroyed by the Persians in 480 B.C, in the second Greco-Persian War. Pericles, the famous Athenian leader, rebuilt the temple of Poseidon probably around 440 B.C. but only some columns of it stand till today. A 5m tall statue of Poseidon used to stand inside the temple, but today only a part of it survives and it is displayed in the Archaeological Museum of Athens. The frieze of the temple was made of marble from Paros island and it depicted the legends of Theseus. On one column, you can see the word "Byron" on it, engraved by the famous poet Lord Byron during a visit in 1810.
In fact, this place was emotionally important for the Athenians, as this was the last point of their land that the ancient Athenian sea farers and warriors could see when they sailed away into the Aegean and around the Mediterranean Sea and also this was the first spot of Attica to see when they returned from the journey or war. That is why the Athenians decided to built a temple there, dedicated to Poseidon, the god of the sea, to give them nice sea trips so that they would come back home.
Ancient Theater of Thorikos
The ancient theater in Thorikos is developed on the rocky slope of the coastal hill Velatouri, in direct continuation of the excavated settlement of the ancient Municipality of Thorikia. It is considered the oldest surviving in Greece, since it seems to have been built at the end of the 6th century BC.
One of its peculiarities is that it does not have the well-known circular shape of Greek theaters, but its concave -like the orchestra- has an irregular, elliptical shape. In combination with its antiquity, it is considered that it shows us the form of the early Greek theaters.
Today's image comes from its last change, which took place in the 4th century BC. - then the molding and the upper concave were made, reaching 3,000 seats. This is how it was first depicted in the lithographs (1801-1806) of the Irish traveler Edward Dodwell.
Apart from the shape, its location is also impressive as from its stands you can enjoy the disarming view of the whole area. To the east you can see the sea, Makronisos and the whole coastline with small coves and sandy beaches.
The ancient theater of Thorikos is one of the few archeological sites of Attica without entrance fee and opening hours.
Chambered Tombs of Thorikos
At the top of the hill, Velatouri hill, very close to the Ancient Thorikos Theater, there is an important archeological site that was inhabited continuously from the Neolithic to the Classical Age. As the archeological findings show, the area flourished especially during the Mycenaean Era (1,600-1,100 BC).
This justifies the ruins of a Mycenaean citadel, as well as the 5 vaulted, chambered tombs at the top of the hill. In fact, in one of their tombs were found vessels and figurines, which date from the 7th to the 5th century BC. From these findings it can be concluded that there was some heroic worship in this area, which continued after the decline of Mycenae.
The valley of Suriza
The archeological site is located to the north of a series of small valleys that end in the large valley of Suriza. It is about 4 km south of Agios Konstantinos (Kamariza). It is also called a Forest, because it is included within the boundaries of the National Park of Sounio.
The monuments of the area
Inside the fenced area of Suriza there are 13 mining wells, which were opened for exploration to locate the ore deposit. There are also openings for underground mining.
Seven metallurgical laboratories for the cleaning of the ore were discovered. They date to the 5th and 4th c. e.g. and show evolutionary progress in size and technology applied.
The main elements of the workshop were the laundry or laundry in ancient times, and the large outdoor tank. The cleaning of the ore from the unnecessary geodetic elements was a basic condition for the success of complete melting and good quality metal. The invention of the washing machine and its continuous refinement contributed to the colossal production of silver and lead in Classical times. Their operation was based on the collection and use of rainwater and its recycling, in order to make it the largest possible economy.
Along the south side of the valley, a large rainwater drainage ditch had been constructed, from which the overhangs of the reservoirs were fed.
To the west there is a large underground tank for drinking water, and on the slope to the NW a rectangular war tower. The tower is probably part of an Athenian attempt to secure the area after the great escape of slaves from the mines (413 BC), during the Peloponnesian War.
To the east, at the exit of the small valley to the large, there is an extensive cemetery.
Ovriokastro in Keratea
Ovriokastro is a hill in the area of Lavreotiki which is located between Keratea and Lavrio, about five kilometers southeast of the center of Keratea.
In the past the hill was overgrown but after a catastrophic fire it has been left with low vegetation and has been declared reforestable. On its slopes, small water currents are formed, mainly the Mouzaki watercourse, most of which end in the stream of Dardeza, which flows north and east of the hill, almost parallel to Lavriou Avenue.
The name of the hill is due to the ruins of an ancient fortress that is believed to have been built in the 2nd century BC. by slaves of the mines of Lavrio, who had rebelled against the Romans. Numerous fragments of ceramic and obsidian tools have also been found in the area, covering a period from the late Neolithic to the Middle Helladic period.
In the area there is an ancient mine, galleries and wells, while it is still considered rich in minerals, both in quantities and in a variety as well.
Church of Agios Dimitrios Keratea
The church of Agios Dimitrios is located in the central square of Keratea. In 1841 the old parish church dedicated to Agios Dimitrios of Keratea was demolished in order to build the new larger church in its place.
In 1898, the engineer Vassilios Paschalis was assigned a renovation study and on December 18, 1905, the current church was founded according to the plans of an unknown French or Belgian architect.
On October 30, 1906 the construction of the new church was completed and on November 9, 1908 it was inaugurated.
Church of Agios Georgios Keratea
Agios Georgios is the 2nd parish church of Keratea. It began construction on the western outskirts of the city and was recently completed, being one of the most modern temples in the Mediterranean.
Holy Church of Agia Triada Keratea
The church of the Holy Trinity is located on Sounio Avenue at the northwestern entrance of Keratea. It dates back to the late post-Byzantine times (an inscription next to the entrance places the church in 1905).
The temple has been built on the site of an older temple of the same name, which was located a little further north on the hill and was probably destroyed around 1700 by pirates, as happened in many other temples in the Mediterranean region.
The many elements of geometry and symmetry that the church presents, the many openings as well as the shape of the dome with its relatively small size, are an indication of the western influences on the church building.
The chapel of the Holy Trinity is especially beloved by the locals and at the beginning of summer, crowds flock on the day of the festival.
The Church belongs to the Parish Church of Agios Dimitrios Keratea.
Holy Church of the Virgin (Assumption of the Virgin) Keratea
Panagia Garika is located east of Keratea at a distance of 3.5 km from the city center, built on a hill in a very beautiful location overgrown with pines and olive trees, with orchards and vineyards.
It is a church of the post-Byzantine years of the 18th century that has undergone several renovations and alterations. The first renovation took place in the year 1865. Characteristic is the large stone bell tower with the 6 bells at the entrance of the precinct, which was added to the recent renovation of 2002. The additions of early Christian sculptures of members are also visible in the masonry.
The name Garika is a name of the area and not a nickname of the Virgin. According to some testimonies, the wider area was called Garika and when the church was built it took the name of the area to distinguish it or to contrast it with other temples of the Virgin (eg the Virgin of Amachaire). However, there is also the opinion that the name Garika is used as a nickname of Panagia, from the Albanian word gur-ka (= it has stones), ie the Virgin who has stones, apparently based on the characteristic stone masonry of the temple (inside and outside).
The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and although it is not a dual church, it also celebrates the Life-Giving Spring. It is a chapel very popular and beloved by the locals. During the days of the festivals, a lot of people flock, food is distributed (the traditional Korbani) and events are organized by the Municipality.
The I. Church belongs to the Parish Church of Agios Georgios Kerateas.
Holy Temple of the Prophet Ilia
The history of the Holy Temple begins in 1982 when in one night it was built on the top of the peninsula in Tourkolimano Keratea, at the expense of the then Association of settlers Ag. Marina is the base on which the small church will later be built.
The first (small) Holy Temple was built with the help of the inhabitants of the wider area on the night of August 6, 1986, the feast of the Transfiguration of the Savior. The next morning the church was almost ready, but the intervention of the Police stopped the work. In the early hours of Saturday, August 9, 1986, it was demolished by the Municipality of Keratea in the presence of a strong police force.
However, before dawn, the residents rebuilt the small church with an unprecedented mobilization, offering everyone voluntarily what they had, building materials, work, etc. At 10:00 on the morning of Saturday, August 9, 1986, the church stood at the top of the hill with the police not intervening.
Since then begins a struggle of years for its legitimacy which was achieved after countless visits, memos, reports to all Authorities and Ministries. Finally, by decision of the Prefect of Eastern Attica, on November 24, 1988, it was granted to the Municipality of Keratea for use, an area of 499.20 sq.m. for the construction of I.N. Prophet Elias. On April 18, 1989, the relevant installation protocol in the allotted area was drafted and signed by forestry office of Lavrio and the Mayor of Keratea.
In December 2004, the Parish of the Holy Temple of the Holy Prophet Thorikos Keratea is founded, which includes the areas "Agia Marina", "Tsonima", "Perigiali", "Panorama" and "Syri" and is published in the Government Gazette (Government Gazette 252/13 -12-2004) the Presidential Decree of its establishment.
It is one of the most beautiful churches in Attica in a wonderful place, large, imposing and with an ideal view from all sides to the Aegean Sea.
Address: Thoriko Keratea, location Turkolimano, P.O. 9106, 19001, Keratea
Tel.: 22920 40481
Fax: 22990 40482
Tel. of the Priest: 6939 877629
Facebook: Ιερός Ναός Προφήτη Ηλία Θορικού Κερατέας
Holy Church of Agios Nikolaos Thorikos Lavrio
The church of Agios Nikolaos in Thoriko, is located in a prominent position, at the top of the hill of the historic peninsula of Agios Nikolaos, on the road to the PPC facilities, with a wonderful view of the bay of Thorikos, Lavrio and Makronisos.
The church belongs to the Metropolitan Church of Agia Paraskevi Lavrio. It celebrates the day of the feast of the Saint on the 6th of December with a solemn evening and divine Liturgy.
The Church belongs to the Parish Church of Agia Paraskevi Lavrio.
Address: Agia Paraskevi and Lazaridou, 19500
Tel.: 22920 25336
Holy Church of Agioi Anargyroi Plaka Keratea
Picturesque church in the forest of Plaka in Keratea, with excellent surroundings.
Address: 30 Plakas Ave., Plaka 190 01
Cathedral of Agia Paraskevi Lavrio
The Cathedral of Agia Paraskevi, patron saint of Lavrio is celebrated on July 26.
The location of the temple is related to Christian worship, as to the north of the temple has been discovered a cemetery of the late Roman era where there was 'the chapel of Epameinondas'. Tradition states that the icon of Agia Paraskevi was found there, in honor of which the church was built.
It must have been built between 1876 and 1880 and in its original form did not have the two bell towers built into it.
Instead it had a low belfry, to its north side and a short distance from it, with a height that just reached the base of the upper row of windows.
Church of Agios Andreas Lavrio
The Church of St. Andrew is located on a hill that rises west of the district of Naples. It began to be built immediately after the founding of the city in 1865, in honor of Andreas Kordellas, inspirer and founder of Modern Lavrio. The inauguration of the Temple took place in 1860 while the construction of the entire Temple was completed in 1910, the year in which the Temple became the Diocese of Lavrio.
It is a basilica with a dome, with many neoclassical and Byzantine elements. Of great interest is the neoclassical bell tower of the church that was made in the foundries of Elliniki and which has an inverted shell outline at its base, a pattern that sounds in this part of the church.
Holy Church of Evangelistria Lavrio
Around 1905-1906, the district of Kyprianos acquired an orthodox church, Evangelistria, on the southern hill of the district. The completion of the construction of the Temple is estimated to have taken place around 1910. It is cruciform with an octagonal dome and has several neoclassical elements.
The neoclassical motifs - acroceramas, gables, plaster arches - the smoothness of the surfaces and basically the rough individualization of the parts - which opposes the picturesqueness - make the neoclassical element prevail over the Byzantine mood.
Catholic Church of Agia Varvara Lavrio
The inauguration of the Church of Agia Varvara, north of the working-class district of Kyprianou, took place on 4-12-1881.
Agia Varvara is located on the slope of a hill in the district of Kyprianou. which make it quite important. Its Gothicism testifies to the fact that it is a Catholic church, while we can not deny that it is a very rare example of this style in our country.
Also in the interior decoration of the sanctuary of the church, two exceptional frescoes of Ag. John the Baptist and St. Clementine which are tributes to the I.B. Serpieri and his wife Clementine.
Address: Kyprianos, 19500 Lavrio
Tel.: 22920 25039
Holy Church of Agios Nectarius Kamariza
The sanctuary of Agios Nektarios dominates the center of the settlement of Agios Konstantinos, which was formerly called Kamariza and was the center of the mining works of Lavrio both in antiquity and in modern times.
It was founded by Archimandrite Nectarios Vitalis, in memory of the passage of Saint Nektarios from the area. It began to be built in 1966 and since 1972 operates as a Holy Pilgrimage, attracting crowds of believers from all over Greece.
Architecturally it is cruciform with a dome and follows the Byzantine style. Many outbuildings and chapels have been attached around it. It celebrates on November 9, the day of the sleep of Saint Nektarios, and on September 3, the day of the resurrection of his remains.
Address: Agios Konstantinos - Kamariza, 195 00
Tel.: 22920 24312
Facebook: Γέροντας Νεκτάριος Βιτάλης Ιερό Προσκύνημα Αγίου Νεκταρίου Καμαρίζης
Holy Church of Agios Konstantinos and Elenis Kamariza
The traditional stone temple is located in a beautiful place in the national park of Sounio surrounded by pine trees.
Address: Saint Constantine, 19500
Tel.: 22910 41464
Drosopoulos Neoclassic in Keratea
The imposing, beautiful building with the famous ceiling paintings, was built in the 19th century by Mayor Drossopoulos, an associate of Serpieri, it went through many uses (such as the Keratea High School being housed here).
In the fall of 2009 it was restored and delivered to the Municipality of Keratea. Since then, the 2nd floor houses the Municipal Conservatory "Dimitris Nikolaou".
Clock Tower in Lavrio
This is the building with the Clock of the Hellenic Metallurgical Society (1870-1880). The building, during the operation of the Hellenic Company, was its concierge, since the employees and workers of the Company entered and left from there.
Besides, for this reason it was imperative the presence of the characteristic clock which still adorns the building. At that time, the use of personal watches was not possible by most people, due to financial difficulties, so this type of watch was widely used, in order to have accuracy in the arrival and departure of workers.
This building is located in the Port of Lavrio, opposite the city hall. It is a vertical element of a general lower volume composition of tiled buildings and a peculiar composition of the same column. Elaborate construction of stone with a convex roof that is of great interest.
Today in the building there is a cafe-bar-restaurant where the visitor can relax and enjoy the view of the port of Lavrio.
Town Hall of Lavrio
It was built on June 1, 1864 and was the first building of Modern Lavrio. Initially, it housed the offices and residence of the Management of the Italian-French company "Serpieri -Roux Fraissinet C.E" and then the "Hellenic Metallurgical Company of Lavrio".
It stands out with the plasticity of its volumes and its strict, but meticulous face that is crowned with a gable and has symmetrically placed openings.
It keeps all the individual elements of the openings as they are, as well as the other decorative elements of the facades, such as the false pilasters with the Corinthian capitals, the balcony with the strange railing and the carved furrows.
Today, the Headquarters of the Lavrio Metallurgical Company has been repaired and houses the City Hall.
Lavrio Machine Shop
Remarkable industrial complex of buildings of the Hellenic Society of Metallurgy of Lavrio located near the port, which was used for the repairs and maintenance of locomotives, railways and furnaces. He also had the ability to build new objects, while his courtyards were used for boiler making and storage of materials.
The building complex of the Machine Shop, which was used for all the above works, presents all those characteristic elements of the industrial architecture of Lavrio, such as the "in-line" layout of the individual buildings, the roofs with the raised sections, the round skylight in gable and arches. Of particular interest are the wooden structures on the roofs with the huge beams and trusses that support them.
A large part of the Machine Shop of the Hellenic Company, was restored by the Municipality of Lavreotiki and today is used for cultural events & conferences and also functions as an exhibition space.
French Mining Ladder of Lavrio
The French Ladder is a reference point for the city of Lavrio. It is visible from every point of the port, highlights the mining and metallurgical history of the place and is a sample of industrial history. The French Ladder, like any remnant of the industrial past, apart from the need to save and raise it, is the subject of historical study.
The French Ladder was created by the French Mining Company of Lavrio (G.E.M.L.), hence the name "French", and was the most complete installation of a set of similar-wooden, stone, iron- that had been built during times along the sea coast of Lavreotiki for the loading and unloading of ores and raw materials.
The French Staircase is part of a building complex that includes buildings, workers' residences and ore warehouses. The warehouses are the stone part of the whole construction and are based on very strong stone foundations. Their roof is pitched. Where the stone part of the construction of the warehouses ends, the iron part begins, which goes to the sea and rests on rails, which are connected to each other by windbreaks and penetrate deep into the ground.
The total length of the Ladder (including the warehouses) is estimated at 170m., Its height, above the sea, is estimated at 8m. The whole system ends with cranes, located at the edge of the French Ladder. At this point the width is 7.50 m.
The ships were unloaded with the help of two rotating cranes or, sometimes, with the cranes that the ship itself could have. In this case, the material was placed on barges, which emptied it on the small wooden stairs, which existed around the French Ladder and were scattered in the port of Lavrio. Workers waited on these stairs, emptying the barges and filling the wagons.
Lavrio Technological Cultural Park
The Technological Park is a pioneering project of the National Metsoviou Polytechnic School, which aims at the reuse of the facilities of the French Mining Company of Lavrio (GEML) for the creation of a development pole that will gather research and business activities.
The facilities of TPPL include industrial, laboratory and professional spaces of high aesthetic and architectural value, which were mostly built during the period 1875-1940.
It consists of administration buildings and ores processing and enrichment facilities that continued to house industrial activity until 1988. In their 120 years of industrial operation, the TPP buildings have undergone significant alterations, additions and additions, in order to adapt to the requirements of technological development.
Today, the Park has an open space of 245 acres, which includes 41 building units with a total area of 25,000 sq.m., and has been declared a single monument by the Ministry of Culture. To date, 80 acres of facilities with several buildings have been restored, highlighting the TPPL as a unique monument of industrial archeology and architecture.
The industrial buildings have been reconstructed combining the emergence of the historical form with the modern functionality. They house several new and innovative companies, NTUA laboratories as well as cultural and art institutions.
The impressive and imposing Vrysaki Lighthouse was built and first operated in 1892 with oil as the initial source of energy. It illuminated and was a place of deposit in the area of Lavrio. During World War II the lighthouse remained off, however in 1943, as part of the reconstruction of the Lighthouse Network, it reopened.
In 1983 the lighthouse was electrified, the lighting equipment was replaced and the Vrysaki lighthouse began to operate with electricity as a source of energy.
It is located in the settlement of Syri, next to the PPC factory. in the bay of Thorikos.
The Statue of Serpieri in Lavrio
At the beginning of Lavrio square stands the imposing statue of I.B. Serpieri, made of marble, work of the sculptor G. Vroutos. The unveiling of the statue took place in 1899.
In the style of the statue coexists the attempt to appear I.B. Serpieri as the founder of the city, on the one hand with the ore he holds in one hand and the mineral bacteria in the other, but at the same time to emphasize his hegemonic physiognomy that would be expressed more due to his height and position. dynastic facial expression with the gaze of the sovereign supervising the area.
On the preserved elevated base there are three inscriptions: on the main side "John the Baptist Serpieris, lived from the dead, he raised the city and resurrected rich from the spawn", on the east side written in French "I.B. SERPIERI A vase from a neglected ash brought back the shine of metal and the workman's bread" and a third on the west side written in Italian “to the Italian I.B. Serpieri the city wanted and is vigilant here ".
The Building of Efterpi in Lavrio
In 1893 the French Mining Company of Lavrio constructed in Kyprianos the historic neoclassical building of EFTERPI (the name of the muse of music in Greek mythology) as a place for learning music, various cultural events and leisure (dances - theaters - shows - recitals).
It was one of the two centers of the musical life of the city of Lavrio during the last century while it attracted visitors from Athens to the important events that took place at that time. It has been designated by the Ministry of Culture as a historical, preserved monument and work of art.
The homonymous philharmonic, whose members were Greek and Italian employees of the "Company", grew over time, while in 1901 it received the 2nd prize in a philharmonic competition in Kallimarmaro, Athens.
The Old Market (Fish Market) of Lavrio
It was built in 1885 by the Hellenic Company, which rented its premises to merchants. It is built in a P shape with arcades and pillars in the three parts of the interior open space. In the middle of the interior space that functions as a patio, the characteristic fountain with the only lighthouse, which has been saved, is preserved.
The market has traditionally given its name to the whole city center, not only as a place of trade, but also as a meeting place and dialogue of the citizens, something that is very similar to the operation of the market of the cities of antiquity.
Today it operates as a fish market, while it gathers visitors in traditional cafes, and taverns.
National Forest of Sounion
It is the smallest national park in the country but with huge historical and geological interest. Full of underground galleries and tunnels, the area is a secret paradise for speleologists and climbers.
The historical monuments, the natural paths and the beauty of the landscape attract few and select. If you follow the path you will have the opportunity to admire scattered mining galleries, ancient workshops and impressive caves that open next to the dense pines.
Along the way you will also encounter tanks, dilapidated modern buildings and other structures that testify to the presence of humans in the area and the exploitation of the mines.
With a walk in the surrounding area you will find the beautiful church of Agia Triada, an ideal place for relaxation or even for a picnic.
Enjoy the Mediterranean landscape, relax in the view of the dense green, taking a break from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The Chaos of Kamariza
«Egoilon Chaos» as it is called, is a really rare natural monument and is located in the area of Kamariza, very close to Lavrio. What is particularly impressive is its shape since Chaos has a heart shape.
Legend has it that it was created by a meteorite fall in the late 18th or early 19th century. Of course, this fact has not been scientifically proven. It is most likely that Chaos was created by the collapse of the roof of a large cave during the recent geological period.
It is a type of crater with a depth of up to 55 meters and a diameter of 120 meters. The rock, slate and limestone zones are visible in the ravine. Among them is Galinitis, an ore that gave 99% silver and 1% pencil.
One can climb into Chaos all year round. In summer it is in the shade after one in the afternoon while in winter if it does not rain you can climb all day because it is protected from the winds.
Cave of Keratea or Lord Byron
The cave was named after Lord Byron, who in the early 19th century, during a visit, was forced to stay inside for a few hours because the torches that illuminated the area went out. It is located near Keratea, Attica, on Mount Paneio, south of the Keratovouni peak at an altitude of 600m.
The length of the cave is 60 m., Its width is 35 m and its roof height ranges from 5 - 10 m. It is two-storey and is divided into 3 elongated parallel sections by huge columns, excellent stalactites and stalagmites.
From the first section, with a steep ascent of about 5 meters, the other three apartments with a downhill floor begin in succession. The last level, retains at its bottom water with depth depending on the season. It is the deepest point of the cave, with distance from the entrance of 28 meters.
Coastal Wetland of Legrena
The coastal wetland of Legraina is included in the Special Conservation Zone of the NATURA 2000 Network and has been designated as a Wetland of AD protection priority. This is one of the important, small wetlands of Attica.
This wetland is a sensitive high biodiversity ecosystem that hosts a large number of migratory birds.